Richard Guy Briggs' cycling pages...
Yeah, I'm old school on web design, emphasising content...
Yehuda Moon got it right...
What have cyclists ever done for cars? Here's what. (notes)
In fact, contrary to popular belief, Cyclists are not getting a free ride.
...and the cost
of owning a car isn't quite as small as you might think. Here's
what might happen if cyclists did
own the road. There is no war on cars, but perhaps
there should be. 10 Best Bike Advocacy Videos of 2015
In 2001 I dove in with both feet into the recumbent cycling community by provoking Ian Sims of Greenspeed to design and build a new model, a convertible solo/tandem recumbent tadpole trike. I have the first production unit of the GTV. It had an adventure when it got stolen.
Recumbents are aerodynamically superior to UCI designs, with a history starting about a century ago when fairings were banned in 1914, then recumbents banned by UCI in 1934. Things really took off in 1974 with the formation of the IHPVA. Here's a graph of the progression of top speed record (measured over 200 meters).
I've started throwing together a reference page on bicycle lighting with strong emphasis on hub dyamos and homebrew lights.
I have done many short trips of two days up to 350 km including up to the CAMMAC music centre (route, delete Presqu'ile) in the Laurentians in Quebec north of Montreal every year since 1986. More recently, we've done the trip on our trike train ("caterpillar"). That complete trike train has spent 2015-2018 in India.
I've also done the Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour about a half dozen times, mostly self-supported. Carole has also independently done this tour several times.
I did a trip from Victoria to Montreal in July-August 1991 with my bestest buddy Andrew Van Iterson. It was a fundraiser for USC Canada for their "Seeds for Survival" project in Ethiopia, raising $7500 in conjunction with visits to many Unitarian congregations en route. I have photos which have not yet been scanned from that trip and I will add text to it when I do finally scan them. So far, there are two photos from that trip. The first is in Victoria at Mile 0 of the Trans-Canada Highway. Here is another memorable moment when we crossed the Manitoba-Ontario border (photo)
In 1993, I did a one year trip abroad to Australia with my bicycle, stopping in Hawaii, the Cook Islands, New Zealand and Fiji and covered about 6500km. The photo at left was taken in Evandale, Tasmania, the home of the National Penny Farthing Championships.
In 1998, Carole and I spent our Honeymoon cycling in Cuba for a month, covering about 1000km from Havana to Santiago de Cuba.
Since at least April 2000 in Canberra, there's been a Hacker Bike Ride...
In August 2001 I was in Amsterdam several times and really appreciated their bicycle infrastructure, in particular, the bicycle parking at Centraal Station, Amsterdam's main inter-city train station. There are photos here and here.
In April 2002, Carole and I did a 6-day trip by tandem trike from London
to Bristol, UK, of about 400km by back roads. We were able to take in
the British Human Power Club meet at Milton Keynes on 2002-04-06. We
were also able to take in the museum at Bletchley Park.
While posted to India we did a 3-day 200km family bicycle trip through Rajasthan from Jaipur to Alwar.
I'm currently dreaming in Technicolour(TM) about a bicycle trip to connect all the Child Haven International homes for sometime around 2026 to 2030. Company for parts or all the trip would be interesting.
We're members of Warm Showers, a network of touring cyclists, through which we have had the pleasure of hosting some very interesting people such as
Jim Le Galley
and Daniel Greiner (blog).
This video really sums up very well my attraction to bicycle touring.
visited 6 states (46.1%)
Create your own visited map of Canada
visited 12 states by bicycle (3.55%)
Create your own visited map of The World or try another Douwe Osinga project
- Miyata 210 (1986)
Faithful old Miyata long-distance
touring bike started life as a 1000LT and became an Alumicross after
the frame cracked while in Australia and was replaced under warranty.
It has probably covered 50 or 60,000 km. It still has red stains from
Australian outback dust...
Bike Stop winter
special including Sachs/SRAM Super 7-speed hub overhaul
2000-05-28: Carole's True North, SN: TN 228 It was stolen from our garage June 16th,
2009. It was retrieved in bad shape, 2011-05-11.
(2001-10-03) Greenspeed GTVs6 convertible tandem recumbent suitcase
tricycle that is able to carry a canoe. I'm contemplating also adding a
recently overhauled the Rohloff and Schlumpf hubs.
Here's a map
- (2003-09-15) Watson brothers' Goldmember chopper (1, 2, 3, 4). It had an adventure when it got stolen.
- (2003) Chariot child's trailer (more pics)
- (2005) Little Tikes child trailer
- (2005-05) Banana bike Front fork and wheel swapped and bike painted up by Mark at Re-Cycles
- (2005-10-14) Burley Koosah
- (2006-05-31) Mike Watson's BMX tadpole "Hammerhead" trike (first) (head on) (many good shots here)
- (2006-05-31) Mike Watson's Tallbike II another
- (2006-05-31) Russian folding bike from
in the Ural mountains with tyre size 533x37
(24" x 1 1/2"), folded, ready to ride nameplate
recumbent: 2007-07: I am in the process of restoring Mark's old recumbent.
are now a 2 Xtracycle family.
I'm in the process of
doing some work
Dad's old CCM (thought to be from around 1933)
acquired a second Linear, this one silver, from Ray Thomas. He and the
previous owner of the gold Linear, Mark Rehder, had corresponded years
earlier, so when it came time for Ray to find a new home for his due to
replacing it with a foldable SWB Bike Sat-R-Day, he contacted Mark who
in turn informed Ray of the gold one's new home.
- Haro (Carole's old hybrid).
- Norco Mountaineer (Carole's spare bike).
- Q-bike pics
- Mike Watson "Wheelie Chopper"
2011-05-02: Annabelle's WeeHoo iGo recumbent trailer-bike. Annabelle
loves it and frequently yells "WeeeeeeeeeeeHoooooooooo" while in it.
2012-07-20: I finally got around to hacking a rack support for Nico's "Lamb" trailer-trike to attach
This was done in time for our annual trip to the CAMMAC music centre on Lake MacDonald north
of Hawkesbury in the Laurentians. I had to do a bit of welding to get
there. Here was our route.
1950s Gym-Dandy Surrey.
- 2016-04: Firefox 1870
- 2018-03: Indian bicycle rickshaw
- 2018-03: Avon Indian bicycle
- 2018-05: B.S. british mini-penny-farthing
- 2018-06-08: FreeStyle Tallbike (parts acquired 2016-05)
- 2012-01: *Considering purchase* Berkut Velomobile
There seem to be quite a few people interested in HPVs in Ottawa...
The Conservation Co-op
in which Carole and I lived for more than 7 years has an awesome bicycle
parking garage with a capacity for about 110 bicycles in lieu of
indoor car parking. It is well-lit, accessible from street
level and is secure. It is accessible enough that I can drive the
tandem trike directly in, with the canoe in place.
Security: The Abus WBA100 concrete anchor looks like a good way to attach bikes to concrete surfaces.
- Human Powered Vehicle Operators of Ottawa
- IceBike winter cycling site.
- Graydon Patterson's Winter Cycling in Ottawa article on icebike.org
- Peter Hickey's winter cycling page
- Citizens for Safe Cycling Ottawa Cycling safety and advocacy organisation.
- Tandem@Hobbes Tandem cycle enthusiasts list.
- Chunk 666 Humour as expressed in the art of building (not necessarily practical) human powered vehicles.
- Recumbents Emerge from Batcave in Ottawa
- human powered move in .az.us
- Pilom Electronics Bicycle Electronics pages, dynamo testing, LED standlight and doubler circuits, low and high power generators
- Dempster Highway by bicycle in winter
- Winter cycling directory
- Cycling in Ottawa blog
- Are You a Real Cyclist? My score was "105".
- The Industrialization of Traffic: Why Bicycles are Faster than Cars
- Why it is safest to take the lane if it is not sharable (local mirror)
- Bike View in Ottawa: A Video Perspective To Biking In Ottawa
- It would seem Ontario also has a "Strict Liability" law
- Lets Make One Thing Clear, I Am Not Slowing You Down
- GoBiking.ca news blog
- Adventuring Families
- Ottawa Citizen Cycle
- Bike Lane Violations in Ottawa
- Mismatched Wheelbuilding for building wheels with mismatched numbers of holes in the rim and hub
- Gaerlan Custom Cycles for oddball parts
- Cycles Lambert, Spokes
- Momentum's Families on Bikes
- Ride the City, Ottawa, cycling route mapping
- Queen Street Tribute Ride, photo of Carole and me
- Urban Cycling online book.
- CfSC winter bike parade, 2012-01-22
- Laurier Bike Lane counter
- Bicycles & les vélos, Collection of bicycles from the Canada Science and Technology Museum
- Schwalbe tyre size page
- MakeGood Free bike repair resource
- Lokomat ergonomics rehabilitation
- Professional Bike Fit and Physiotherapy for Cyclists
- Sit Stand Treadmill Desk
- Cycling the World as a Photographer
- All about hubs Site about internal geared hubs by a couple of guys in Germany
- Portlandia: Bicycle Movers
- CBC spot on "Councillor goes carless" features me with trike
- Dooring Caught on Dashcam
- The Swinging Door
- The Ideal Cyclist
- grasshopper on fiddleheads
- The Joy of Cycling
- Bicycle Traveller: International Magazine on Bicycle Touring
- Mr. Money Mustache: Bicycling: The SAFEST Form of Transportation
- Alex deVries: Responses to the myths of winter biking
- Here a Pole, There a Pole, Everywhere a Pole Pole
- eight-wheel flatbed cargo cycle
- Valhalla Movement, Shinobi Cycle Human Powered Vehicle Montreal-based velomobile prototype
- Winter Bicycling In Ottawa: It Ain't No Thang!
Cyr: Camper Bike Inhabitat: Camper
Bike: A Pedal-Powered RV For One what
a beautiful day for a kevin cyr interview!
- WWI: Remembrance Day special: Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion Remembrance Day special: Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion
- Holiday Hack: Turn a Bike Wheel Into a Wreath
- Sturmey-Archer 2014-2015
- The forgotten history of how automakers invented the crime of "jaywalking"
- Flickr Winter Cycling Group Pool
- Aggressive Driving Ottawa Police
- City of Ottawa on-line pothole reporting service
- Cycling doctor declares world better than expected Cycling the 6
- India on a folding bike
- Spike on the Bike
- See the Results After Teacher Installed Pedaling Desks in Classroom For Students
Mon Jun 11 13:21:04 EDT 2018